Eater’s Robert Sietsema recently ranked his top 12 NYC pizza slices, and two UWS pizza places made the cut.
Founded in 1959 and located at 2671 Broadway, between 101st and 102nd Streets, the plain cheese slice from Sal & Carmine’s got on the food critic’s list for having a sauce which is “subtly flavorful without announcing itself” and its “ample good cheese.”
Marinara Pizza was also included on Sietsema’s list for its plain cheese slice. While it’s Marinara’s UES location listed in his article, they also have an UWS storefront at 483 Amsterdam Ave (between 83rd and 84th Streets), which opened in early 2019.
Both Sal & Carmine’s and Marinara Pizza made our list of best UWS slice shops as well. Our other winners were Cheesy Pizza at 2640 Broadway (corner of 100th), La Traviata Pizzeria at 101 West 68th Street (between Broadway and Columbus), and Made in New York Pizza at 421 Amsterdam Ave (corner of 80th). And we gave Mama’s Too an honorable mention.
Here are Sietsema’s other top picks:
- White slice at Louie & Ernie’s Pizza at 1300 Crosby Ave in The Bronx
- Plain cheese slice at Golden Pizza at 504 East 138th Street in The Bronx
- Plain cheese slice at Amore Pizzeria at 30-27 Stratton St in Flushing, Queens
- Italian sausage Sicilian at NY Pizza Suprema at 413 Eighth Ave at West 31st Street
- White spinach slice at Stella’s Pizza at 110 Ninth Ave, between 17th and 18th Streets
- Ziti slice at Danny’s Pizza at 241 Bushwick Ave in Brooklyn
- Plain cheese slice at Rogelio’s Pizza at 298 Irving Ave in Brooklyn
- Plain cheese slice at Espresso Pizzeria at 9403 5th Ave in Brooklyn
- Bacon slice at King’s Pizza at 1688 East 16th Street in Brooklyn
- Lasagna slice at Pizza D’Oro at 3115 Victory Blvd in Staten Island
Interesting, as Sal & Carmine has been my favorite UWS slice for decades, and Marinara has become my new go-to, since I live just a block away from it. Oddly missing is Francesco’s (Col/68), which may have one of the most classic NYC slices anywhere.