Apthorp Cleaners is known for its seasonal window displays, which typically change four times per year.
Now, a new diorama celebrating Black History Month is on display in the window of the shop, located at 383 Amsterdam Avenue between 78th and 79th streets.
The display depicts iconic figures including:
- Former President and First Lady Barak & Michelle Obama
- Activist Rosa Parks
- Ida B Wells (journalist and activist)
- Katherine Johnson (mathematician)
- Bessie Coleman (the first female Black pilot)
- Maya Angelou (poet and activist)
- Ella Fitzgerald (singer)
- Billie Holiday (singer)
- Angela Davis (political activist)
- Misty Copeland (ballet dancer)
- Alvin Ailey (ballet dancer)
- Naomi Osaka (tennis star)
- Byron Lars (fashion designer)
- Jean-Michel Basquiat (street artist)
“My windows bring me joy. And we all need more of that right now,” says owner Debra Kravet.