La Vela, the Italian restaurant located right off the corner of 78th and Amsterdam, shut their doors on February 16th.
You could certainly say this area is a microcosm of the constantly changing commercial landscape of the neighborhood.
Right next door, at 375 Amsterdam, White Gold Butchers shut down during August of 2018.
Right across the street, a taco chain called Tacombi will be opening in the former home of Sugar and Plumm. We don’t know when that will happen quite yet, but here’s some more info about the upcoming Tacombi on the UWS.
Whether you were a fan of La Vela or not, all these closings are a pretty big bummer.
Here are a few things you can do to help out local business:
Despite all the closings, there are some upcoming openings I’m particularly excited about:
- Kitakata Ramen at 267 Amsterdam Ave
- Holy Schnitzel on 92nd and Amsterdam
- Don Pedro’s in Kefi’s old spot
Latest posts by Mike Mishkin (see all)
- Central Park Movie Scenes: A WALKING TOUR - March 20, 2019
- Pasta Franco will open at 508 Columbus - March 19, 2019
- 15 Central Park West Penthouse Listed For $55 Million - March 19, 2019