Elena Sanchi is a certified Image Consultant from Italy and an UWS resident for the past 10 years. As a personal stylist she helps busy professionals, aspiring fashionistas, and everyone in between build versatile and effective wardrobes that work from day to night. Elena has worked with many clients, helping them to achieve the style they want in order to look and feel their best.
Following on Erica’s tips for holiday gift shopping to support our local stores, I am here as your local fashion expert with a round-up of the UWS local boutiques and all-time favorite stores. We’ve been challenged to spend $500 locally this holiday season, so here are a few local gems to get you started for the fashion forward people on your list!
Local Spots for Great Looks:
- Magpie It’s a tiny eco friendly boutique with a great selection of accessories and jewelry, a one stop shop for unique gifts.
- Shishi Lots of trendy and relaxed casual wear and party dresses.
- A Tempo has the best selection of winter coats and fancy dresses on the UWS.
- BOCNYC My favorite for international designers, casual clothes with a European flare and great sneakers.
- Liana has the most interesting selection of smart and elegant dresses, whether you are looking for something for work or a luncheon.
- Pachute is a true hidden gem, the owner personally curates the selection, which is very original, often from up and coming designers and most pieces are limited editions.
- CPW is a small upscale boutique for chic yet relaxed casual wear and a 30 years long UWS store. Best selection of denim.
- If you are missing your overseas travels you can head over to the following international stores: KES, Sandro, IRO, Reiss, Zara, H&M and Ted Baker.
- I should mention some more ‘recent’ additions in the hood like Madewell (great for jeans and the California favorite Marine Layer (hands down the softest t-shirts around in the former Kate Spade space).
- Frank Stella Clothier: This rare men’s only store on Columbus Ave has been purveyor of fine men’s clothes since 1976. They have an excellent collection of fine sweaters.
- For the bargain hunters out there, even if Century 21 is gone, within few blocks you’ll find the Bloomingdale Outlet, 260 Sample Sale, Marshall’s and DSW – or pop-up stores like The Cashmere Sale (which will be open until December 5).
Best Places for Shoes:
- WEST NYC on 72nd Street is a destination for limited edition footwear, with fans often lining up over-night to be the first one to score a pair.
- We also have two historic shoe stores run by very knowledgeable associates who are real characters: Harry’s and Tip Top Shoes both carry special shoes for every possible foot request you might have (arches, flatness, sizing, heat, fashion, comfort you name it).
does Elana pay to make these posts? this screams of branded content… w00f