You can catch Mathilde Freund at the Grand Bazaar every Sunday. Mathilde is the market’s oldest vendor. She might also be the oldest vendor on the planet. She’ll be turning 102 this Sunday, and you’re invited to her party!
The New York Times covered Mathilde in a pretty extensive article in May, in which she divulged her Sunday routine..
- Wakes up at 5am.
- Takes a hot shower followed by a cold shower.
- Watches the news, listens to music, does some reading, makes some toast.
- Organizes her vintage clothing and antique jewelry from 7am to 8am.
- Gets picked up at 8am.
- Hits up Starbucks (sometimes).
- Gets her table set up in the indoor section of Grand Bazaar by 8:30am.
And she’s been doing this for the past 30 years.
Mathilde also speaks seven languages, and has taken continuing education classes at Fordham University for over 40 years to keep her brain stimulated.
Born in Vienna in 1916, she fled to Paris in 1937 and landed in New York in 1952. She got a job as a social worker and finally discovered her passion and side-hustle in the late 1970s.
The gates at Grand Bazaar will open at 10:30am this Sunday, as usual, and Mathilde will be the highlight of the day. Janie Bakes will be making the cake for the occasion.