After kicking off with a New York Philharmonic performance for healthcare workers on April 7, Restart Stages begins its months-long activation of Lincoln Center’s outdoor spaces with the opening of “The GREEN” on May 10, an accessible, physical reimagining of Josie Robertson Plaza into an open space by celebrated set designer and MacArthur Genius grantee Mimi Lien.
A land blessing ceremony—conducted by Chief Dwaine Perry of the Ramapough Lunaape and facilitated by the Redhawk Native American Arts Council—will open the evening’s free performances.
Singer/songwriter Martha Redbone will follow, using a fusion of gospel, folk, and blues to celebrate her Native and African-American heritage and address pressing issues, both political and personal, head-on.
Closing the evening is groundbreaking, Tony-nominated Broadway performer, actor, and powerful baritone Norm Lewis.
Other upcoming performances include:
- Premiere of Our Time is Now – violinist Jennifer Koh’s exploration of the AAPI and Black experiences with composer-pianist Courtney Bryan, a Lincoln Center commission
- NEA Jazz Master and ten-time GRAMMY winner Eddie Palmieri, presented in collaboration with NYU Music and Social Change Lab
- Chamber Music Society’s Summer Evenings Outdoors, with world premiere of new song cycle by Bruce Adolphe, composed for soprano Angel Blue
- Juilliard NOW performance series featuring a new generation of artists in music, dance, and drama
- Storytelling performances, curated by The Moth
- Contemporary jazz inspired by Haitian rhythms with vocalist Pauline Jean and saxophonist Godwin Louis, presented in collaboration with Haiti Cultural Exchange in honor of Haitian Heritage Month
- First in-person Concerts For Kids performance by Brooklyn band Red Baraat
- Broadway star Jose Llana’s special performance for the Philippine Nurses Association
- Outdoor reading room, created by the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts (opens May 24)
- Campus to host additional Pop-Up performances of music, dance, and art, school graduations, children’s recitals, and more
Free tickets to opening day and all upcoming events will be made available through the TodayTix Lottery, the Official Ticketing Partner of Restart Stages. The TodayTix Lottery will open for entries two weeks before each performance and close one week prior to the performance at 12:59 p.m. EDT. Attendees who secure tickets will be required to fill out a health survey, among other safety protocols. For more information visit TodayTix.com or download the TodayTix app.
Learn more about Restart Stages here.